Lucy and Ethel.
There are a LOT of names for the flappy part of my upper arms that jiggle, wave and damn near come undone each time I move my arm.
Years ago, I did not wear anything sleeveless because I was embarrassed by my Flying Bat Winged Squirrel arms. I practiced waving to someone far away without lifting my arm high enough ‘to swing’. I made sure I didn’t move my arms too far away from my sides if I was carrying something. Rather than toss the ball overhand, I’d always throw it underhanded, so no one would see flappy Lucy and Ethel.
Then I got over myself.
I PRACTICED WAVING for Pete’s Sake (and who the hell is Pete, anyway?). Now I wear sleeveless clothes ALL THE TIME. And I LOVE them. I love that my arms are free, no constricting little ‘cap’ sleeve (whose arm needs a ‘cap’??), and no passing over the summer sundresses and tops.
So, here are 10 reasons you should NOT worry about those upper arms:
- It’s cooler. I don’t care HOW small or short the sleeve is, NO sleeve is cooler than SOME sleeve.
- No one REALLY cares what your upper arms look like.
- Extra room for MORE glitter!
- It’s easier to put on more deodorant because we ALL need more deodorant some times.
- More to hug with.
- You can gain momentum if you get them moving fast enough.
- There are some REALLY cute tank tops and sundresses (and I want to wear them ALL!)
- People will laugh when you say you’ve named them. And you can laugh with them.
- What other people think doesn’t matter.
- What other people think doesn’t matter. (Oh, did I say that twice? My bad…)
So, toss off those sleeves. Throw those caps, short, 3/4 and long sleeves to the dirty clothes bin in the summer and rejoice in the fact that you will wear sleeveless anytime you want to because you LOVE your Lucy and Ethel arms and you wouldn’t have it any other way!